Cannabis Business Operators

What kind of cannabis licenses are issued by the City of Sacramento?

Currently, the City issues conditional use permits and business operations permits for:

  • Adult-use Cannabis Products
  • Manufacturing Facilities
  • Adult-use Cannabis Cultivation Facilities
  • Adult-use Cannabis Testing Facilities
  • Medical Cannabis Dispensaries
  • Medical Cannabis Optional Premises Cultivation Facilities
  • Medical Cannabis Infused Products Manufacturing Facilities

When will adult-use sales begin in licensed stores?

The first adult-use sales will be legally authorized to begin on Jan. 1, 2018, in licensed stores, subject to inspections, hearings and other criteria.

Who can operate a cannabis business?

The City of Sacramento currently allows medical dispensaries, cultivation, nonvolatile manufacturing and testing in specific zones within the city, subject to a set of regulations.

To start a cannabis business in Sacramento, two permits are required: a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for the property, and a Business Operating Permit for the business operation itself. Except for dispensaries, applications for these businesses can be downloaded from their specific pages on this website. Please check our policy page for City ordinances and State regulations pertaining to cannabis businesses.

What is the process for transitioning a medical cannabis center license into a adult-use store license?

In the City of Sacramento, some medicinal dispensaries may qualify to sell adult-use cannabis. On Nov. 28, 2017, the City Council voted to allow the City’s 30 medical dispensaries to sell adult-use cannabis if they succeed in obtaining a state license after Jan. 1, 2018 and the necessary City permit amendments. They also need to complete a neighborhood responsibility plan and be compliant with all state and local regulations.

How do I verify a license?

To verify the status of a medical or adult-use cannabis business license located in Sacramento please call (916) 808-4773.

Do I need a license to transport cannabis?

Yes. A Type 12 Licensed Transporter is licensed to transport medical cannabis and medical cannabis products between licensees. Transporters must submit electronic shipping manifests prior to all transport activity, and updating the traceability system at each point for supply chain integrity.

What kind of products can a medical cannabis dispensary sell?

It is anticipated that the regulations will be developed by January 1, 2018.

How much adult use cannabis can be sold to an individual in a adult-use store should they be approved?

Answer – Up to 28.5 grams (one ounce) of un-concentrated cannabis, or, up to eight grams of “concentrated cannabis,” which includes edibles and topicals.

Is there a limitation on the number of plants that I can grow at my home?

Yes. Adult residents can grow up to six cannabis plants per person, with no more than 3 in the mature/flowering stage at any time. No more than six total plants are allowed per residence, regardless of the number of adults living there. In the City of Sacramento, there is a fine of $500, per plant, over six plants.

Can I sell home-grown cannabis to others?

Home grown cannabis, no matter the form, may NOT be sold to others.

Can you grow plants outside?

No, commercial and residential cannabis must be grown indoors or in a greenhouse.

Contact Info

Building Permits & Land Use
Policy & Business Permits

Office of Cannabis Policy and Enforcement

Application & Online Permits

Revenue Division

Ranelle Kawasaki